Thursday 9 November 2017

New project: Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago

Having wrapped up the Armies on Parade project that has been dominating my painting table for two months, I'm finally free to embark on a new thing. The Nickstarter for Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago arrived recently, so I think I'm going to strike while the iron is hot.



I really like the crew creation system in Ghost Archipelago, which I think is simpler than the one in Frostgrave while still providing a lot of variety. I dithered a bit, but ultimately I decided that I wanted to put together a crew that balanced mobility and heavy attack, with a Heritor who was a bit of a brute.

I settled on a warden with a staff, a Heritor with heavy armour and a two-handed weapon, two archers, a pearl diver, a mercenary, and four normal crewmen. The pearl diver is one of the bonus figures from the Nickstarter until I find something more appropriate, the mercenary is an old fantasy model I had lying around, and the Heritor and Warden are both Reaper Bones models. The Heritor got a headswap from the Crewmen kit, a practice I recommend.



Here they all are, aseembled, based, and primed. The goal is to do them in a primarily tan and white colour scheme with brightly coloured sashes, turbans and so on. I'm going to do the crewmen pretty quickly and concentrate mainly on more detailed paint jobs for the special models. I'm more interested in a cohesive whole than having any one model be brilliant.

I'm going to try to keep this blog updated with my progress as a way of staying motivated. Next time: terrain!

2 comments:

  1. very good set of figures - like what you've done with the heritor and look foward to futher posts - part. terrain.

    btw, picked up your viking'thu pdf via DTF, opening reads well and looking forward to getting into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words -- and for picking up a copy of the book! I have already begun putting some paint on crew members, so hopefully I will have something to report before too long.

      Delete