Friday 16 January 2015

Techno-primitive conversions!

In late November, I was at a car boot sale when I came across a lady with a big bag of plastic figures for £5. I didn't recognise the models, but what the heck. I picked it up, brought it home and discovered that I had acquired 14 RTB01 Marines, a couple of Skeleton Hordes skellingtons, an old Fantasy Regiments Skaven, and a metric crapload of these guys:


They turn out to be the plastic figures from the original Dungeonquest, and as you can see in the background there are loads of them. I only had a small number of complete sets, and many of the barbarians had broken horns, so I flogged off a few of the complete sets, kept one for myself and set about thinking of something to do with the other guys. 

Then, after seeing cool conversion posts by Asslessman and The Responsible One, I was lying in bed, drifting off and the phrase "techno-barbarian" occurred to me. This is a term that comes up to describe the tribes of Earth in 40K literature, and a vision of the barbarian guy from the photo done up all post-apocalyptic appeared. 

The next day I began chopping and sticking, with the following results: 

Click to embiggen and see where all the parts come from.


I trimmed the broken horns into stumpy little horns and filed the barbarian's shield flat, replaced some hands and weapons and crudely sculpted a loincloth and headband from green stuff. I suck at sculpting, as you can see; this is only the second time I've ever really tried it. 

They sat around for a while while I found the time to paint, and then I got to work: 



I think they came out OK! I liked the idea of the barbarian's shield being an old road sign, and I think I'm happy with the guy in the middle, whose face mask looks sinister as hell. The blue on the guy on the right may have been a misstep. 

Anyway, they're simple models with simple paintjobs, but I think they came out quite nicely. I may have one or two more conversions to do -- I'm almost out of barbarians, but I have a ton of the other ones. Hell, if anyone wants one, you can have some for the cost of postage or as a swap while supplies last. 


4 comments:

  1. Very clever, very cool! The mask is an inspired idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's bits box logic for you; just stick things on and see if they fit. Oddly, I could never figure out how those masks were supposed to fit on the models they were actually supposed to be for.

      Delete
  2. Love those, very nicely done.

    I've been thinking of writing up rules for a pre-Unification skirmish game, maybe using Necromunda rules, or posibly something D10 or D20 based (like Frostgrave).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about some kind of "Frosthive" game. I don't have a lot of confidence about rules, though.

      Delete